Thursday, June 21, 2007

"Poik de coy in de loit."


You can "poik" your "coy" in " this'n ga-royge" at Armitage and 38th Street.

Sound familiar? I was travelling back from a conference in Seattle this week, and I got into a conversation with a fellow I was sitting next to at the Sea-Tac airport. He was flying to Houston, but his mother had apparently grown up in Kendall Park, and he recognized me as a "Peshie" right away because of my accent, which got me to thinking about the Mishipeshu accent.

I grew up in Wihinapa, as did both of my parents, so they both had strong Peshie accents, as did my grandparents. I still remember when Grandpa Henry taught me "droive" in his "coy" down Stanton Avenue when I was 16.

And certainly a lot of people still think of the late, celebrated television and film comedian (and Armitage Heights-native) Marty Miller for his outrageous vocal characterizations of the Peshie accent (who can forget his classic shopkeeper gag? "Oh, shoyp-keepa!").

It's an accent like no other in the country, informed by the blend of influences that have made our city so unique -- from early Native American tribes that flourished along Lake Mishipeshu, to the Polish settlers that made Little Warsaw home, to the Quebecer, Delawarean and Esperanto speakers that poured in last two centuries in search of a better life. So poik your coy with pride!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude. Sherman. I am bored this weekend and could really care less about your messed up English. What I want is to be on the scene with Marisha. Where is she? What is she doing? I've been stalking her Myspace and can't find her ANYWHERE (not even at the last Hell is Other People show in the Zeppelin District). I don't know how much more mediocre local indie rock I can handle without her glow[er]ing presence. Can you hook me up?

Dude.

Anonymous said...

Sherman, I'm going to delete this post.