Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Our rockin' neighborhood!

In the new February 2007 issue of SPIN Magazine, Armitage Heights is named the 12th Most Rock & Roll Neighborhood in America, right between University City in St. Louis (#11) and Copper Square in Phoenix/Tempe (#13)! The article gives a "shout-out" to such well-loved local indie rock bands like the October Revolutionists, the Twilight Parade, I Promised To See You Die And I Will, My Other Car is a Robot, Hell Is Other People, the Do-Overs and Teenage Law Student, none of whom I have heard but whom my assistant Marisha assures me are awesome (except for I Promised To See You Die And I Will, who she says are "weiney screamo drama queens," whatever that means). It also cites some of our great rock venues, such as Spike's and the Bazooka Room and some of our great, now-defunct rock venues like the Heights Cafe, the Buckaroo, the Lakesider and the old Armitage Orpheum, which apparently was having illegal punk rock shows in the basement up until last year (maybe the displaced punk rock bands will enjoy seeing an NBA game instead!).

So, way to rock on, Armitage Heights! Let's start attending some local rock shows and supporting our "scene"! Next year when the pollsters come around again, we can start creeping up on Wicker Park, Silver Lake, Williamsburg, Capitol Hill, South Street in Philly and Uptown Minneapolis!

Marisha is telling me that it looks "lame" when I keep putting words like "scene" and "shout-out" in quotation marks, but I'm just trying to put some of these rock and roll words in context for all our non-rockers out there.

No comments: