Thursday, May 17, 2007

Election news from all over!

Wow, what a whirlwind week! As I'm sure you know, half of the city council primaries were held last Tuesday, and what a lot of excitement there has been! Of course, you all well know I don't like to spend much time here talking partisan politics -- I prefer to think of this blog as an enjoyable resource to keep everyone in the neighborhood up-to-date on all the facets of life in Armitage Heights, not just the political aspects. But Tuesday night was exciting enough to warrant some mention.

Of course, I ran unopposed in the Democratic primary for this seat, but there was a vigorous contest for the Republican seat. Much to everyone's surprise, Wihinapa building contractor Barry G. Johannsen, the youngest son of the late Marla Manda Johannsen, defeated his opponent, Armitage Hill businessman Feltzer Carlson Messing, Sr., by just three percentage points. It was a tightly-contested race all the way to the end, and Mr. Johnnsen certainly takes after his mother in his "take no prisoners" approach to campaigning. So it looks as if I'll be up against Mr. Johannsen in the fall, and I'm looking forward to an invigorating, exciting campaign!

Despite the fact that this is outside our neighborhood, I should also mention that Stephen Massey Keller (R-8th Ward) was defeated in Tuesday's Republican primary. Too bad, Stephen -- I enjoyed working with you! He is a talented man that will definitely find exciting new opportunities outside public service to advance his fascinating ideas about mass transit.

No comments: