Friday, May 18, 2007

The road to recovery, Day 1.



Well, the doctors are telling me to take it easy. I'm trying, but I've had my assistant Marisha bring me some paperwork to do here. The City Council is meeting next week, and some important votes are coming up -- the East Hanley school voucher proposal, and of course my proposal to make the October Revolutionists' "Esmerelda Sing Me Sweetly the Song of Our City" the official Armitage Heigts neighborhood anthem! I want to be sure I'm on top of it for those votes.

I've gotten a lot of wonderful support from the community. Marisha sent me the photo above, at the Exxon at 37th and Stanton! Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to write or send cards! I'd even like to give a begrudging thanks to the Kaos Krew, whose illegal shenanigans I've often written about. They sent me a very sweet, very misguided "video letter" from London (an MP3) hanging out on a yacht with a band called "Kaiser Chiefs," sharing their favorite "Sherman stories" and wishing me a speedy recovery. Li'l Warsaw frankly looked as if he was going to cry.

I also received a nice note from my Republican opponent in the November election, Barry G. Johannsen, wishing me a speedy recovery, and reminding me that if I'd had a handgun, this attack might never have happened.

Also, I should apologize for my last post. I winced a bit when they removed some of the bandages, and they gave me some morphine, so I was feeling a bit woozy when I wrote it. I'll have Marisha remove it first thing tomorrow.

I've seen a lot of cable television, as well, between the jello snacks. It made me consider how much we can learn about the troubles facing our communities from television programs. The world is full of drug dealers, Mafiosi, ex-Soviet mercenaries, terrorists, emotionally distant husbands, psychotic "gold-diggers," unsavory rock musicians, and many others. It makes me wonder if there's not more creative methods for dealing with these problems. I'll be thinking on it, since I won't be going anywhere for a few days.

No comments: