Tuesday, May 22, 2007

The road to recovery, Days 2-5.


Well, I'm very happy to tell you that I am writing this post not from my hospital bed at Mish Memorial, but from my offices at City Hall in Pierce Plaza downtown, and that tonight I'll finally be going back home to Wihinapa to get back to work!

My assistant Marisha thought it might be better to get me off of the laptop for a few days this weekend while I recovered. That's too bad -- while I was convalescing, I wrote some very interesting reviews of the new October Revolutionists album (it's excellent! It reminded me of U2 with fluegelhorns!), some reviews of the different jello flavors they had here (the green was the best, but the nurse didn't know if it was lime, cantaloupe or kiwi flavored. All those fruits are green, according to Wikipedia. My favorite all week was snapped for me by my nurse Carolyn, which I've posted above -- doesn't it look delicious? I'm not sure why some more of our great restaurants on Stanton Avenue aren't doing more with jello), a review of a 1970s-era action film I saw on cable television one night called The Man That Killed Tomorrow (I thought it was pretty exciting, especially the final scene where the cop, played by Armin Braganza, has a shoot-out with the corrupt bureaucrat, played by Walter Kerry, who is attempting to kill the Secretary of State, played by James Caan, on top of the Essex House, plus it was directed by Hanley native Robert Donald Salloway! Here's a shot of that scene I found on a fan website). I also outlined a new proposal for the infamous east metro rail transit plan, which I hope will help unite our core urban constituency here in the 3rd with our suburban friends in the 8th Ward (I'll reveal it soon, but here's a hint: "luxury box seats" a la the I-Line -- suburban luxury meets urban convenience!). I suppose all these things will be published at some point, but perhaps it's time to get back to work.

Thank again to everyone who wrote to wish me a speedy recovery -- I certainly appreciate it. I also wanted to take a moment to acknowledge the high volume of email I've received regarding the fate of Councilman Stephen Massey Keller. I want to say that though I am certainly not happy about being assaulted, I acknowledge that Councilman Keller is dealing with some very serious issues involving both alcohol and mass transit. It's no coincidence that he bopped me over the head with a model subway car, and it's no coincidence he was drunk while he did it. I want Stephen to find the help that he needs. What exactly that might entail we will see. I would be willing to drop the charges, of course, if he would seek treatment for his alcoholism and support my east metro rail transit authority plan to finally link up the 3rd Ward with points east.

I'll be at my desk, hard at work, in the meantime.

No comments: